Jaroslava Skleničková (* 1926) was born as the younger of two daughters in the family of a chef. She spent her childhood, due to her father's profession, alternately in Lidice, where she was born, in Luhačovice spa in Moravia and in Nový Smokovec in the Tatra mountains in Slovakia. After completing primary school in Hradec Králové she started attending a business school in Prague in 1941. Like her sister, she used to commute to the school from Lidice, a village near Prague to which her parents also returned after forced displacement from Slovakia.

On 10 June 1942 the Sklenička family was hit by the same fate as all the inhabitants of Lidice - as part of retaliatory actions following the assassination of  R. Heydrich, the deputy Reich protector, her father, like all men from Lidice over the age of 15, was shot dead and Mrs. Skleničková was, together with her mother and sister, deported to the Ravensbrück concentration camp as the youngest woman from Lidice. In the camp, after 14-day quarantine, she was first assigned to leather and fur processing for the purposes of the German army. After three months, she worked in the kitchen and clearing group. In December 1943, she was assigned as a needlewoman to nearby Fürstenberg where she worked for the Grahl company. When she objected that she could not sew, one of her Polish co-prisoners told her: "Remember, you can do anything... Never say that you do not have the skills to do something." At the end of the war, she experienced a death march together with her mother and sister. Today, she comments: "Whoever did not experience this cannot imagine that something like that could happen. With my Polish friend, we later once said: "My girl, could we, did we really experience that? Is it possible? Such conditions?"

After liberation, Mrs. Skleničková, together with her mother and sister, returned to the then Czechoslovakia. A short time later she moved to Prague, completed her education and started to work as a clerk in the General Pension Institute. At the same time, she had to cope with the after-effects of the imprisonment on her health: during the years 1942- 1945 her congenital health defect - hip luxation - significantly deteriorated and she had to undergo a number of serious operations.

At that time, she also met Čestmír, whom she married in 1951 and who became her husband. Five years later, she left her job in order to be able to look after her seriously ill mother and her children and her sister's children. After her mother died in 1971, she started working at Telexport of the Czechoslovak Television as a clerk. After she retired, she moved with her husband back to Lidice where today she lives in a house that the Czechoslovak state built for surviving women from Lidice after the War.